Odisha State Museum is a museum in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. In its original form it was established in 1932 and later moved to the current building in 1960. The museum is divided into eleven sections, viz, Archaeology, Epigraphy, Numismatics, Armoury, Mining & Geology, Natural History, Art & Craft, Contemporary Art, Patta Painting, Anthropology and Palmleaf Manuscripts. The museum is headed by a superintendent and the administrative control lies in the hands of Cultural Affairs Department, Government of Odisha.
Orissa (Odisha) State Museum, situated at the top of Lewis Road (Gautam Nagar) near Kalpana Square, at a distance of 2 kms from the Bhubaneshwar railway station, is renowned for its huge collection of manuscripts on palm leaves. Established in 1948, the four storey Orissa State Museum houses rich and invaluable collection of Buddhist and Jain sculptures, archeological findings, coins, copper plates, stone inscriptions from ancient and medieval Kalinga, armours, bronze age tools, ancient and medieval tools and weapons, enormous traditional dresses, stuffed animals, natural history, geological objects, paintings, anthropological specimens, traditional folk and musical instruments etc. These artifacts are arranged and displayed in various galleries namely Archaeology Gallery, Epigraphy and Numismatics, Armoury, Mining and Geology, Natural History, Art and Craft, Contemporary Art, Anthropology Gallery, Palm Leaf Gallery, The Patta Painting Gallery and Gopabandhu Gallery. Of these, palm leaf gallery located in the first floor at the end of the corridor is the most attractive one with a vast collection of rare palm-leaf manuscripts including the 12th century manuscript of devotional poem Gita Govinda.
Orissa (Odisha) State Museum also houses a library with a large collection of books, which is a destination point for researchers and scholars in different disciplines. Orissa State Museum is open for public on all days from 10am to 5pm. It will remains closed on Mondays and Government Holidays.
The origin of this museum can be traced back to 1932, when some historians and professors, like William Jones, Ghanashyam Das, N. C. Banerjee, Harekrushna Mahatab established a museum in Ravenshaw College, Cuttack. In 1945-46, the Museum was shifted to Brahmananda building in old Bhubaneswar and given the status of a State Museum by the Government of Odisha. Later, the Museum was shifted to Patel Hall in 1950 and again to another building in Unit – I, Bhubaneswar. In 1957, the foundation of the Museum was laid by then President of India, Rajendra Prasad, and finally the Museum in the current building started operating from 1960
Incoming search terms:
- orissa sculptures in museum